John B. Ludwig, LMT/CMT, NCTMB, RP, SP, Renshi
I have always had an interest in the healing arts. As a U.S. Marine Corps Staff Sergeant, during two tours of duty in Okinawa, Japan, I was exposed to Shiatsu and massage as a method of lessening recovery time from strenuous training in various martial arts, including Karate, Okinawan weapons, and Iaido (swordsmanship).
I moved to the D.C. Metro area (“NoVA,” Reston, VA) from California. While in California, for five years, I worked both privately and at a fabulous facility in the Lodi wine country: The Spa at Wine & Roses. I loved the opportunity to work with such a diverse collection of clients: bridal party members, wine connoisseurs, vacationing travelers and local celebrities who appreciated my therapeutic touch. Of the 30 therapists, I was the “Most Requested Therapist” in 2010. I had a solo practice in Reston, VA, for six years, where I worked on athletes, children, diplomats, people from, “3-Letter Agencies,” retirees, and military personnel. In 2017, I moved my private practice to the Virginia area near Colonial Williamsburg.
I have an excellent grasp of both technique and body mechanics. My training includes anatomy, kinesiology, conservative draping and safe practices for massage. As a graduate of the Massage Therapy Program at Carrington College California (CCC) [formerly Western Career College (WCC)], I am fully licensed to practice Massage Therapy and have been Certified by the states of California and Virginia, as well as Nationally Certified by the National Certification Board for Therapeutic Massage & Bodywork (NCBTMB).
As an Expert Level practitioner of John F. Barnes’ Myofascial Release (JFB-MFR), I have had great successes working with athletes, those recovering from surgery or injuries as well as people just wanting to feel better or more healthy. A few of my clients have had Multiple Sclerosis, Fibromyalgia and Osteoarthritis, and felt great relief or better day-to-day quality of life. Some of my clients have also appreciated the Unwinding work to help with issues related to PTSD in various forms, whether from car crashes, childhood abuse, military action or other injuries: the body has a way of storing these experiences until we are in a safe environment and ready to deal with them.
I have been able to add horses to my list of clients. Not only are horses wonderful creatures, but they truly need the work, and will express themselves quite well, emotionally and physically, during treatments. Thoroughbreds, show horses, and work horses, all have various issues that can be helped through JFB-MFR. These athletes can carry numerous injuries through repetitive damage or one-time events. Both horses AND riders will benefit from the equine work, and it is amazing to help these partners solve issues that both are compensating for in each other!
In addition to CCC’s rigorous 623-hour program, I have completed training in:
CranioSacral Therapy from The Upledger Institute, Inc.®
- CranioSacral I (24 CEUs): Eric Moya, LMT, CST-D
- CranioSacral II (24 CEUs): Tim Hutton, PhD, LMP, CST-D
Myofascial Release ®, taught by John F. Barnes, PT, NCTMB
- Myofascial Release I (20 hours) (x2)
- Unwinding (20 hours) (x2)
- Myofascial Release II (20 Hours)
- Rebounding (20 hours) (x2)
- Advanced Unwinding (20 hours) (x2)
- Fascial Pelvis (20 Hours): Joan Miller, PT (x2)
- Womens’ Health Seminar (25 hours)
- Skill Enhancement Seminar (40 hours)
- Equine Myofascial Release I (13 CEUs): Cathy Covell, PT
- Cervical-Thoracic (20 Hours) (x2)
- Subtle Energy [Therapeutic Touch] (12 Hours): Dr. Margaret Fuhs, DNSc, RN
- Myofascial Release III (30 Hours)
- Myofascial Healing Seminar
- Pediatric Myofascial Release (12 Hours): Molly McMillian, PT
- Myofascial Mobilization (12 Hours): Dave Frederick, RN
- Subtle Energy II [Therapeutic Touch] (12 Hours): Dr. Margaret Fuhs, DNSc, RN
- Equine Myofascial Release I (13 CEUs): Tamara Thomas, PT
- Quantum Leap (20 Hours) (x2)
- Subtle Energy III [Therapeutic Touch] (12 Hours): Dr. Margaret Fuhs, DNSc, RN
Reiki (energy work) from Reiki Master Teacher, Janice I. Kembel
Reiki I & II (Reiki Practitioner)
LaStone ® Therapy, taught by Tonya Bucinell, senior instructor
Simply Stones (18 CEUs)
Core Shamanism, as taught by the Foundation for Shamanic Studies (Founded by Michael Harner)
- Basic Workshop – The Way of the Shaman (13 FSS CEUs): Nan Moss & Peter Clark (Shamanic Journeying, Power, and Healing)
- Two-Week Shamanic Healing Intensive (60 FSS CEUs): Nan Moss & Elaine Egidio (Extraction Healing, Power Soul Retrieval, Psychopomp, Divination, Advanced Healing Methods. Granted, “White Level” Certificate.)
- Weather Shamanism I & II, (15 FSS CEUs): Nan Moss & Peter Clark
- Weather Shamanism III: Nan Moss & Peter Clark
- Fire Initiation: Peter Clark & Kristine Peeler
I also practice Ikenobo Ikebana, the art of Japanese flower arranging, and Ura Senke Chanoyu, the Japanese tea ceremony. I offer lectures and demonstrations of both these arts, which can be combined with shiatsu massage for an unforgettable cultural experience.
- Junkakyo Certificate, Instructor, 3rd Grade, Ikenobo Ikebana (Flower Arranging)
- 4th Degree Black Belt, Ryukyu Hon-Kenpo Kobujutsu (Okinawan Kenpo Karate & Weapons), “Renshi” Title with Teacher’s Certificate
- 2nd Degree Black Belt, Muso Shinden Ryu Iaido (Japanese Swordsmanship)
- 1st Degree Black Belt, Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu Iaido